Google Tag

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bucket Babe: Tamika Doubell

Its Bucket Babe time again and this weeks featured model is Tamika Doubell. Although modelling isn't her main passion, she has reached success in this field - having been chosen to represent South Africa at the Top Model Worldwide competition recently held in London.  She took part in Top Billings presenter search and made it quite far into the competition. Unluckily she didn't end up being chosen but just from the auditions you could see the energy she had in front of the camera and her charisma that instantly captures your attention. In fact, she has an interview coming up with them this weekend where they will be catching up with her since the last time they saw her, as well as ask her advice for this years current Presenter Search hopefuls. So be sure to watch Top Billing to catch her in a few weeks when it airs! Not only does she look good in front of the camera she also has the papers for it, as she mentions her degree in Film & Media. She has done a fair bit of modeling as well as own her own business but I'll let her tell you more about that...

Tamika Doubell


I was born & bred in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. I Graduated from the University of Cape
Town (UCT) in 2009 with a degree in Film & Media Production. I’m currently living and
working in Cape Town in the Film & industry as an Actress, Voice-over
Artist, Event MC and Business Owner. I do model when I have time, it’s a fun way to
make some extra money! The business which I recently started with my brother and a few
shareholders is called “SkyBok”.

SkyBok utilises Google Maps to display location and information on local points of interest,
providing video profiles of venues to gain more insight into what they are about. It’s primarily
an online business, it’s URL is “skybok.net”. I travel all over the country to shoot. Some of
my clients include The Mount Nelson Hotel, The Two Oceans Aquarium, Pezula Resort
Hotel & Spa, Simonsig Wine Estate, the Humewood Links golf course and various other
well-known venues. I started it with my brother and a few shareholders. I edit everything
myself and record all the voice-overs in studio with well-known sound-engineer Frank Smuts.
The website went live for the first time last month and so it’s a very exciting time! I am in the
process uploading all the videos.

I have begun a blog about my life which I am really enjoying! I find blogging to be very
rewarding and satisfying!


Links

MY BLOG: http://tamikadoubell.wordpress.com/

MY BUSINESS: http://www.skybok.net/

MY TWITTER: @TamikaDoubell

MY TOP BILLING SHOW REEL:



MY AGENT - ACTING, PRESENTING, MC'ING, VOICE OVER WORK
http://www.samanthabernhardi.com/




Career Highlights

- I was a Grand Finalist recently in “Top Model Worldwide 2012”. It was a massive
competition held in London at The Hilton Metropole in March and it was an incredible
experience for me!

- I was in the Top 6 of the “Top Billing Presenter Search 2010”. For the show, we travelled
all over the country and also to Mauritius. I got to Bungee-jump in Soweto which was
exhilarating to say the least!

-I MC various parties & events in Cape Town and around the Eastern Cape. Some of my
favourites which have stood out for me have been the SKYYVODKA Pool Party at The Cape
Milner Luxury Hotel, the Traffic Winter Collection Fashion Show at The Loop Nightclub, the
FCM Fashion Show at ZAR nightclub as well as the Varsity College Fashion Show at ZAR
nightclub….also the Fashion With Purpose Fashion Show in affiliation with UCT last year,
held at one of my favourite theatres, The Baxter Theatre in Cape Town. I'm also very excited to be MC'ing the upcoming 'Help Save Elephants' cause at Cavendish square! A two day Artjamming paint-a-thon with kids from Reach for a Dream, in association with Younique Concepts.

- I do a great deal of Voice work for radio and television e.g. for Axe Deodrant,
SKYYVODKA, Netcare, ComeDine, Chevrolet and so on.

- I enjoy acting in films and commercials, such as the Hollywood blockbuster Deathrace 3:
Inferno which recently shot in Cape Town. I was Olga’s Pit Crew and we shot on location
here in CT last year. My first exposure to films was when I was an extra on the sets of
Disgrace starring John Malkovich and Invictus with Matt Damon & Morgan Freeman. That
was while I was still studying my degree at UCT so I couldn’t afford the time to go into acting
full time. The British TV series The Great British Story was something else I did over this
past season, where we shot on location here in CT. It was a great experience! A recent
French campaign for Fortuneo Bank in Paris (TV commercial) was also very memorable!
And a big commercial I did for Thorpe Park Theme Park up in UK was one of the more fun
ones and I actually saw it on TV while I were there for the ‘Top Model Worldwide’ last month!

- Top Billing’s Presenter Search on SABC3 in 2010 was really what catapulted me into this
career path and exposed me to the world of television. It gave me a wonderful insight into
presenting and I learnt valuable skills, which I would use if was ever called upon to present
again. Before that, I was living in Port Elizabeth and my only exposure to presenting was a
gig I did for Bay TV here in the Eastern Cape where I interviewed the band Evolver One for a
special they were doing.

- I’m the brand ambassador for Longstreet Fashion Boutique in CT – Long Street,
Cavendish, Tyger Valley and Canal Walk (www.longstreetboutique.com) and also FCM – a
couture fashion label with offices in Loop Street.

I am very big on social responsibility. In terms of giving back, I work with the Rotary Club of
Algoa Bay. Have a look at my most recent blog article on all my charity work, for the names
of the charities I am involved with and also for photos you may want -HTTP://tamikadoubell.com/2021/05/02/photo-gallery-of-charities-ive-come-into-contact-with/

One charity event that stands out for me is a ‘Royal Tea’ which was held last year in
association with The Rotary Club of Algoa Bay and Yokhuselo Haven for abused women.
We got the famous British milliner Philip Treacy himself to donate a hat and had it auctioned
off. Proceeds were given to the charity. He is the milliner to the likes of Kate Middleton,
Victoria Beckham, Princess Beatrice and so on, so it was a huge accomplishment that we
were able to auction off this piece!

Something I am focusing a lot on now is giving motivational talks to under-privileged
children. I gave a talk recently at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University as part of
Engen’s Saturday School Program which holds Saturday classes for learners from the
townships all over the country. I will be continuing to work with Engen on this project in Cape
Town & Johannesburg.

A cool page on my blog, which might be nice for you to check out, has photos of me with
some really noteworthy people I have met along the way through my work - including Scott
Eastwood, Danny Trejo, Noeleen from 3talk and Desmond Tutu himself! I call it the “Wall of
Fame”

Here is the link: Gallery

I am very grateful to UCT for the excellent education I recieved while obtaining my degree - a B/A Film and Media Production. Knowing how all the behind the scenes works, its made it somewhat easier when I perform in front of the camera (or microphone). Also those skills I learnt in editing and other post-production essentials are coming in very useful now with Skybok!


Q&A:

1. Hot girls and hot cars go hand in hand, what ride would you like to see yourself in? 
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - nice choice!

2. What sandwich are you most likely to make for me? and will it be toasted or plain?
Sandwich? Sies! Is that the best you can do? Honestly Amith, reach a bit higher. ..- Im a simple guy ;-)

3. What type of music gets your booty shaking?
Anything with a good beat.

4. Dream cover shoot?
Vogue.

5. If modelling wasn’t an option, what career would you have most like to get in to?
 
Hehe! Modelling isn’t my career. I don’t take it seriously. I do it on the side for fun.
It’s a nice way to make some extra money! It’s not a viable career unless you’re
a certain height. I’m in the Film & Entertainment industry as an Actress, Voice-
over Artist, Event MC and Business Owner. It’s going phenomenally and I’m
really enjoying it - I’ve always had that entrepreneurial quality about me, so it’s no
surprise that I’m delighting in it all! If that wasn’t an option I would go into my family’s
business… Brick-Making Machinery. We own Doubell Machines & Equipment. Our
Factory, Showroom and Head office is in Port Elizabeth. I would start a non-profit
organisation. I might still.


6. Everyone loves popcorn (well I think they do) what’s your topping/ sprinkle of
choice?
 
I prefer Whispers.

7. Anyone holding that hand yet? or is it available?
Wouldn’t you like to know… - got to know if there is a chance :-D

8. Growing up you must have had someone you aspired to be, so who is your role
model?
 
Different role-models for different things. I like Scarlett Johansson – her look, her energy,
her work. And then (even though he’s a dude) Ryan Seacrest! For his brain! He
knows how to make money in this industry, that’s for sure.


9. Obviously being a female you would love fashion, favourite label/ designer?
 
Givenchy.

10. Which city is your dream party destination?
 
Ibiza.















1 comment: