Google Tag

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

World Baking Day

As mentioned before in my blog, I cook BUT I don't bake. I'm not sure what it is but I just never had the passion to bake a cake or cookies for that matter. This all changed last Friday as a Stork paid me a visit... No it didn't bring a baby but rather a box filled with baking goodies. Odd that I would receive all this and a note that was attached explained why. Sunday, 20th May was deemed "World Baking Day" so the awesome guys down at Stork decided to send off these boxes of baking goodies to a select few blogger's to celebrate the day and get creative and to tweet their cakes to @ILoveBakingSA using the hashtag #caking

that's not me...
In my box was a cake (thank goodness since I've never baked a cake before), a block of Stork margarine, a packet of icing sugar, a limited edition World Baking Day apron and loads of decorative sugary treats!
Seeing that the cold front graced Durban that weekend, I wanted something to warm me up but at the same time be an awesome tasty treat. "Dom Pedro" popped in my head for some reason. So I stuck with that theme. I sliced the cake in half and made a mixture of Kahlua and warm water which a spread over the cut sponge. topped it off with some cream, cherries and chocolate sprinkles.

cut in half.
Now for the icing! Using half the block of stork margarine, I mixed it with 2 cups of icing sugar till it turned fluffy white. In a bowl I mixed 1/4 cup of boiling water with 2 teaspoons of coffee granules. I added that mixture to the icing as well as a tea spoon of vanilla essence. I continued to mix the icing until it turned a light brown colour, not knowing if it was ready, I had to do a taste test....then control myself from not eating all of the tasty coffee flavoured cream.



As a kid I watched my mom bake 100's of cakes and ice them with ease, trust me, that shit is harder than it seems and icing this cake proved to be a challenge! I decided to decorate the cake with the given treats but it with my shoulders ready to give up after a round of golf things didn't turn out the way I wanted it too. Over all, I was impressed with myself for what I had accomplished, even though the end product didn't look that great, it tasted superb!



No comments:

Post a Comment