Google Tag

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Recipe: Alfredo revised

Being a Hindu and of Gujerati decent, I find myself being told to fast (abstain from eating meat) quite often in my life. Heck, by right Gujerati's are meant to be full on vegetarians! Luckily my family saw past that one, not sure how my life would have been without KFC!

Anyway, moving along, as mentioned before I do have to fast a lot and a few Sundays back I was tasked to make some lunch. I really wanted to have an Alfredo but instead of opting for the usual Alfredo, I decided to change things around abit. Here's how it went down.


Ingredients

200g tagliatelle pasta
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
half cup flour
500ml milk
50-80g Parmesan cheese
Italian dried herbs
black pepper
english mustard powder
2 mushrooms
1 green chilli
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp olive oil
2/3 fresh chives
2 sticks fresh thyme

Method

Start off by putting the pasta to boil, I find the tagliatelle to be rather long so I break them in half and put them into a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt and some oil.


Next step is to start the sauce going, in a sauce pan add you butter and wait for it to melt. Once melted, add your flour and stir continiously with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture has turned into a paste and turned golden brown, add your milk and continue to stir. You have to keep on stirring so your sauce stays smooth and will have no lumps. Add your salt, mustard, black pepper, parmesean cheese and Italian herbs. Keep stirring until the sauce has a thick texture, remove from the hot plate and stir in your chives and thyme.


Now, this is where things take a slight turn. In a large frying pan, add the olive oil, crushed garlic and chopped chilli.


Slice the mushrooms and add to frying pan. Drain the pasta well making sure all of the water is out. Allow to stand a cool for a bit and then add it to the frying pan. Try to crispen the pasta while turning regularly.


Once done, plate the pasta in a deep plate, pour some of the sauce over and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment